Wednesday, October 14, 2020

30 days to less - day 14

Getting rid of random stuff has a way of not feeling like I'm accomplishing much, but I have to believe it makes a difference.  The things below are a combination of additional items that got pulled out of the gift wrapping box yesterday and things that were gathered this afternoon on another stroll through the house, as I quickly recognized things that don't get used, that I don't like, or that have aged or become worn past their prime.


1) A picture frame that fell off a shelf and got damaged (I think years ago) and for some reason was just stuck in a drawer. I removed the picture and the frame is getting tossed.  

2) A little wire basket that's been replaced by something better. 

3) An old Rubbermaid container.  I don't know why everything seems to look better in a photograph than it does in real life. 

4) A bag of shredded paper stuffing that I don't find attractive. 

5) An old and aged (cracked) Nook Color cover. 

6-8) Three gift bags that are past their prime. 

9) A Tupperware ice cream box that got a lot of use once upon a time until ice cream stopped being sold in boxes and it was relegated to being a holder of random things. 

10) Extra salad tongs (like the 4th extra pair in the drawer - really, we don't need that many).  

11) A outdoor thermometer that I'm not interested in screwing to my house or a post.  

12) A candle that's has too strong a scent.  

13) Four little things I have no idea what they are - please check the picture below and weigh in if you know.  

And the best of all...  

14) The handle to a rocker that had a broken leg rest so we took this off and put it in a drawer (so no one could lift the leg rest) while we continued to use the rocker as simply a rocker - probably for a couple of years.  We took the broken rocker to the dump months ago, but I still had the leg lift handle in the drawer.

Now...  can anyone tell me what the things below are?


Okay...  I just looked up "stretchy whole finger thimble", thinking these were for fingers, because, if I'm remembering correctly, I found them among my MIL's sewing things.  I found this link:


So now I know they're called finger guards.  When would a person actually use something like this?

The link says:  "Leather guard protects your finger while carving or polishing and allows for more versatility and dexterity than a full glove."  

So...  I guess this sort of answers my question, but I'm curious if anyone reading this has experience with these.   


Day 14: 134 things gone






17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm guessing so, since my MIL was a quilter. They just feel so cumbersome on the finger I can't quite imagine it.

      Delete
  2. Interesting finger thimbles. I've never seen them before; I thought they were little slippers for little feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I was thinking thimbles too but a 'guard' as you described it is a definite possibility. Perhaps it's something that can cross genres. Then again, maybe your MIL bought them thinking they would work as thimbles and discovered they were too hard to use. That would be my thoughts anyway. And...as a matter of non-interest whatsover, we can still buy ice cream in blocks to fit in that container here. There's only one or two varieties though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that as a definite possibility - re the finger guards. I haven't seen ice cream in blocks here for several years. I wonder if it's a regional thing. I may check again the next time I go shopping. They'll probably bring it back for nostalgia sake one of these days. Are you suggesting that I keep the Tupperware ice cream box?

      Delete
    2. Nope - I'm sure Tupperware still makes them and they're glad to sell them!

      Delete
  4. You're still going strong! Great job, Becki! (I had never seen the leather thimble things, so I'm glad you told us what they are.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never in a million years known what those were for if I had found those among stuff. I am quite sure there will be a few things like that for us too.
    I think every single time you find some little things like that it is a good thing. I find it is when I don't deal with stuff that comes in and then it lays or around while I keep thinking on it or then gets stuck in a drawer or closet that you get all that clutter that eventually drives us crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is just too much of that kind of thing here. Clutter that just never gets dealt with - until an exercise like this makes me see it.

      Delete
  6. Great job!!! I was going to guess leprechaun house slippers but I would have been wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have been in good company, though. :)

      Delete
  7. The finger guards look like doll flip flops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quilting, needle felting, sharp knitting needles...these look better than the leather finger you get in a needle felting kit so if you know someone close they would maybe use them. I just try not to stab myself as the needles are so sharp and barbed it’s painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were donated, so hopefully they'll be put out as merchandise and someone who can use them will grab them!

      Delete