Sunday, October 4, 2020

30 days to less - day 4

Next week, I plan to include my regularly scheduled YOP post, but today this is simply Day 4 of my 30-day minimalism challenge.  And I'm pre-posting this as we are celebrating youngest son's 25th birthday today. 🎈 How the time does fly...  

We have two large closets in our entryway so we will, no doubt, revisit those later this month, but for Day 4, hubs pulled out these items to rehome:


A leather "bomber jacket" (not military), a military flight suit w/ helmet (counting that as 2 things), and a WWII U.S. Army Air Corp uniform.  An uncle of my husband was a collector of military uniforms and badges, and he has passed some items along over the years because he knew what a military history buff my hubs is.  

Hubs has been wanting to rehome these for years, but I've been the holdout.  I think everything above served as a costume at some time or another for sons in dramatic roles and there is some sentimental value to me, but the time has come to let them go.  A little part of me hopes our sons will want these things, but if they don't (and they likely won't) we're going to see if a historical museum would like the uniform pieces. 

Day 4:  18 things gone
or I suppose it's 22 items if I count each piece of the Air Corp uniform.  Should I?
Okay...  22 things gone. 




14 comments:

  1. Happy 25th Birthday Youngest Son!

    Those are nice garments. I'm sure somebody will want them or you could sell them on Craigslist or a consignment shop?
    I love the script font in your sign. What is the font's name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made my heart glad today when one son today said he'd be interested in the military items if we don't find a museum that wants them. I actually think Hubs wants to donate them to museums, though. So I guess we'll see.

      You are in luck. I still had the graphic saved in Fotor, so I could look and tell you that the font is called Parisiens.

      Delete
  2. I could see the flight suit being a great costume for your boys. Hopefully you will find a place that will cherish these items as you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The uncle who used to collect these things died last year and I wonder what kind of time his wife and daughters had finding homes for all the items in his collection(s).

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are. Close-up one can see that the Air Corp uniform had been mended. I don't know if that was done while in use or after it became a collectable, but it makes me smile appreciating that small handwork done many, many years ago.

      Delete
  4. It's wonderful that you're trying to rehome these rather than simply chucking them. Might take a little while, particularly in these times, to find a good home but I'm sure it's out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. Museums may not even be open to receive such items right now. We'll be patient. If they don't leave our house this month, at least the decision has been made about them.

      Delete
  5. Good on you!I wish my hubby would get on board with minimalizing/minimizing. I even like the sound of it. Maybe next year when I come back home that can be my project. This year it was windows.💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know that cleaning windows is wonderfully satisfying. :)

      Delete
  6. I am so impressed at your ability to clear things out, sadly I am hopeless at it. But these particular clothes are rather special, the sort of items that re-enactors would fall upon with glee. 'Forties' events have become popular in Blighty and people go to great lengths to be accurately dressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. In our parts, reenactments often center around the Civil War, and the French and Indian War. I imagine on the east coast American Revolution reenactments are popular.

      Delete
  7. I'm not joining the challenge this month, but I am here cheering you on! Yay, you! 🎉 (I'd like to try it sometime . . . maybe this winter when there is less happening here.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. If you blog about doing this challenge (come winter), I'd love to follow you.

      Delete