Tuesday, October 6, 2020

30 days to less - day 6


I don't (and won't) always select items according to a theme, but I have found having a theme in mind as we search out items during this challenge can enable us to see things with clearer vision.  


In this case, it goes something like this:  Hubs uncovered an old weather radio and tested it out to see if it works.  I asked, "Do people still use weather radios since we have weather and weather alerts at our fingertips with our cell phones?"  The topic of weather made hubs consider a small indoor/outdoor thermometer that he had, but there were no wires or a sensor for it, so that could go.   The topic of cell phones caused him to consider if we really want to keep an old land-line phone we don't use (we have a nice looking one that we do use sometimes when our power goes out and our wireless phones won't work).  Then, I guess he remembered he still had an old cell phone (that he recently replaced with something faster and better) - and his new phone has a nice camera, so why does he need to hang onto an old instant camera (his dad's actually - and one we don't even have instructions for). And without the small camera, the camera case really isn't necessary...    Before we knew it, he had collected 6 things - - just like that.

I'm not sure if that's exactly how it worked in Hub's head, but that's what it looked like from my vantage point and I think you get the idea.  Having a theme causes one to consider things that might otherwise go overlooked - sometimes for years...

We have an electronics recycling center just a few minutes from our house, so that makes dealing with stuff like this really convenient. 


Day 6:  41 things gone






11 comments:

  1. you are 'going to town' again on this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you (or in this case DH!) for the latest 'outages'. Alas I have no ideas for re-use for any of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - that's good. I'm thinking you might have some input on Day 9. Gotcha curious?

      Delete
    2. Always (curious, that is). Curious is my middle name, doncha know.

      Delete
  3. Your right. We did have just about the same idea. Mine was hubby's idea too. In fact, most of what we are getting rid of is from his office. FINALLY! I have wanted to get that place spiffed up for about 4 years. But, he thinks it is all his idea and I will not burst that bubble LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 41! Congratulations!
    Y'all are brave to get rid of electronics, and smart to keep the landline.
    I take batteries and SMS cards out of phones with the intention to bring them to recycle station. :) I also think I have every wire from all the computer systems I've had since early 1990s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost embarrassed we still have a landline (and a corded phone), but then I feel smart again when we've let our cell phone batteries dwindle down to nothing, or when the power goes out and our cordless phones won't work. Oh, boy... I should have hubs go through all the wires and cords we have. I bet we have some going back that far, too!

      Delete
  5. Great idea! I have a bunch of old phones down in the basement that I was goin gto sell on Ebay...yeah right! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything we've thought might be worth selling - turns out a lot of other people are trying to sell too. DH inherited one unique collection (I really should blog about it a bit), but other than trying to be purposeful with dispersing that collection, we're trying to be very practical and not get bogged down in the complications of trying to sell stuff.

      Delete