Monday, October 5, 2020

30 days to less - day 5


Today's post is inspired by the beginnings of fall decorating


When I went out to the garage to find the autumn wreath to put on the front door recently, I found the rather sad looking spring/summer wreath above.  Honestly, it was on its last leg the past couple of summers that I used it, but I just couldn't throw it away when I took it down last year because I had loved it so. When I saw it again, I remembered it had gone into storage last autumn when I replaced it with my fall wreath. Finding it again, I was shocked at how tired and faded it had become. Happily for me, I had purchased a pretty wreath this past spring so it went into storage and this one is going into the trash.  Seriously, I don't think anything is reusable or even recyclable on the wreath above.

So that (and the video below) began today's collection.  Some fake greenery, fake pumpkins, and cute (but fake) little acorn salt and pepper shakers that are chipped.  The only thing real above is a plant cutting I started rooting in the spring time and I never got around to planting it.  It's been in my kitchen window for months now and since I don't have a pot to plant it in, I'm letting it go.    I still have the mother plant, so if I get the itch to start a baby plant again, I know where I can get a cutting.

I recently came across this video that shows ideas and motivation for doing quick seasonal decluttering.  This gal is a serious minimalist.  


Something tells me Shannon (in the video) probably never
has to declutter tiny plastic pumpkins.


Day 5:  35 things gone 




12 comments:

  1. An interesting collection today - I won't tell you that I might (key word, that) be tempted to spray paint the pumpkins and hot glue them, along with some of the leaves, onto the tired wreath. No, I won't tell you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can tell me. And I will tell you... if you were my neighbor, I wouldn't foist the wreath on you. It actually looks better in the picture. It's misshapen and soooo faded. I wish you hadn't said anything though. Now I want to dig it back out of the trash and remove that welcome metal thingy and see what I think of just the plain wreath. Giving you the stink eye right now, Mary Anne. ;^)

      Delete
  2. About the tiny plastic pumpkins..the time to start decluttering ia ten years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recycling tired wreaths!? I lol. I think mine are at least 5 years old, spruced up each season. Wood string of cranberries painted blueberry blue. Daisies...summer. Pinecones...hello winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I used the tired wreath above for at least 5 years - probably more. I really did love it. Adding the metal welcome thingie was a spruce up one spring. And it finally faded to the point of not looking very welcoming. When I held the wreath up and saw that it was more of a flat egg shape than round, and all the greenery drooped, I knew it was time for the wreath graveyard. Trash was picked up today, so there's no looking back.

      Delete
  4. I'm as bad as Magpie! I fight constantly with the voices from my depression age relatives who saved everything and re-purposing and will I need it someday and not have the money to replace it? It's a terrible battle that goes on in my head! But then I think to myself...how long do I think I'm going to live? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand. Fortunately, for me, the voice from my minimalist millennial son is a good balance to those voices from the past. He really does inspire me to want to pare down.

      Delete
  5. LOL...some of those comments above.

    ReplyDelete