Friday, November 15, 2019

Less is more - day 15

Today I just quickly collected a random assortment of things in the kitchen cabinets. 


Nothing noteworthy.  Nothing clever.  Just some odd stuff we truly don't need and don't really use.  Except that any of the cups might be grabbed for coffee or hot chocolate.  But there are still enough others that no one is going to miss these.  

I was chatting with my oldest son last night and I told him about this challenge.  He did the math in his head and he laughed and said he didn't think he had 465 things, period - let alone 465 things to get rid of.  I think he might be surprised.  I said I imagine I could pick any random category of things we have and could probably find 465 things to get rid of in each category.  Then today, I thought...  except for a few rooms, I could probably complete this 30-Day challenge in each room!   And I doubt I'm alone in that.

I'm very glad I'm doing this.  I don't really expect to see a big difference in our house in just this one attempt at the 30-Day Minimalism Game, but it's doing something to my brain and how I think about the stuff we have.  

Honestly...  it's kind of a challenge to not get rid of more.  It seems the further I go with it, the more clarity I get about all the stuff I have.  I find myself asking "Why do I keep this (or that)?  What do I actually use it for?"  But then I tell myself, "Pace yourself.  No sense in just going hog-wild clearing stuff out.  You might regret it later."  I think the truth is somewhere between those two thoughts and I hope to land solidly on it at some point.   And I'm hoping this sense of wanting less stuff stays with me when I'm done with this challenge this month.  

I appreciate those who are following along and are offering encouragement.  You're the best!





5 comments:

  1. Ah - the kitchen cabinets - another thing that could use some revamping in our small abode. Doubt we could get rid of 30 things though because our little space is already pretty streamlined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the amount of stuff we have! I've purged our mugs a couple of times but there are still far too many. 😯🍵

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, each if us could probably pull 495 objects easily from our homes and never miss them. Today hubby wanted to buy me a 7 qt ditch oven and I told him NO. I have no room to store it. Yip....need to do a major purge too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something I really need to do. My worst area is probably my yarn stash though and I just can't help telling myself "but I might need this for something sometime...". I think I just have to be strong and fill a big bag and donate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing great! I've donated some old knives I don't use in the last curbside pick up.

    ReplyDelete