Sunday, November 24, 2019

Less is more - day 24

I've had this post ready for over two weeks - remember when I said I had a clever idea for a get-it-outa-the-house haul?   

Well...  it started with coming across these 6 candles:


I bought them once upon a time for small gifts.  But somehow I never got around to gifting them.   I was going to just donate them and then it occurred to me that if I just applied myself, I could create six nifty gifts and empty my house of more than just the candles.

So...  I added some hand-knitted dishcloths I already had (2 per candle):


Then dug through my gift bags and tissue paper, and came up with six gifts - all now ready at a moment's notice for a cute little gift when something like this will be appropriate:



Including the bags (that we seem to continually accumulate) here are 24 more things ready to leave my house!  I'm thinking between Thanksgiving and Christmas I'll surely find homes for these.

You've gotta admit...  that's a lot more clever than just donating them, right?





And since today is my Year of Project Update,  I also want to share two scarves I finished this past week:


An easy ribbed scarf made with two strands of a pretty paprika-colored yarn, combined with a closely matching fingering weight yarn - for a bit of depth.


And:

 A Puff Stitch scarf.  Oh, how I love this.  I'm giving this one away, but hopefully soon I'll start on one for me!






To see what other YOPers are up to, visit their blogs -- over there in my sidebar.  👉




17 comments:

  1. How clever of you to get emergency gifts ready. Another great way to get things out of the house and given to someone who will use it. I really like the puff stitch scarf. Looks all warm and squishy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marsha. I even put one of the gift bags in my car - for a just in case gift. :)

      Delete
  2. Seriously - this was clever! I need to do the same thing. I love that you are getting rid of gift bags too with this one. Both scarves are so pretty. I love the puffy one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now THAT is a brilliant solution! Right now I'm knitting cowls trying to use up my stash of mohair yarn but it doesn't look as though I'm making much of a dent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine those are going to be some wonderfully warm scarves!

      Delete
  4. I'm doing something similar. Feels so good to have gifts ready to go and not have to spend more money. Your scarves are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea and such a cute combo....I'll be by to pick mine up! LOL! I love your scarves too. I just want to make everything I see you make! Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you come by, I'll have more than a little gift for you, Sam. There'll be oodles of hugs and squeals. I've most of my energy back, but the throat is still scratchy. Mostly now it's just an annoyance.

      Delete
  6. Your scarves are gorgeous and the emergency gifts are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so clever with your candles and cloths gift bags - your de-cluttering is taking on a whole new genre.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a brilliant idea and they all look great. I am now thinking I could do similar but instead of candles I can felt up some bars of soap, knit some dish cloths. Brilliant! I'd be thrilled if I was receiving one of those gift bags. Nice scarves too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I've given some dishcloths with a little bottle of hand lotion before. This one was definitely a "use what I got" idea.

      Delete
  9. That was clever and love seeing the scarves you make!

    ReplyDelete