Sunday, November 17, 2019

Less is more - day 17

First, my Year of Projects update...



I started crocheting this Puff Stitch Scarf yesterday and am already a third of the way finished.  I love how this is turning out and how quickly it's working up.  It's a prettier mustard color than my camera was able to pick up in the light I was shooting.  This one is meant for a gift, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be making another for myself when this one is finished.


~~~~~

And for my 30-Day Minimalism Challenge:

Checking out a bathroom cabinet to see what might be lurking in there that could go, I saw light bulbs I haven't liked since the day someone brought them home.  They're 75 watts.   Where do you use a 75 watt bulb?  It's too much wattage for 60-watt fixtures, and too dim for a table lamp.  I seriously dislike them.  I've used a few (possibly in some 60 watt fixtures - I don't know), but I overall, I avoid using them.  Which means they've been in this cabinet for several years - annoying me every time I see them.




So bye-bye 75-watt lightbulbs!  

I'm happier already.  😀





I'm curious what kind of light bulbs others like.   Sometimes I long for the days when picking out a light bulb was a simple matter.  Heading to the store, all I needed to know was what wattage, and size of the screw end the fixture could receive.  The shape and size of bulbs was pretty standard.  I might choose between a regular bulb shape or a flame shape, but really... wasn't it about that simple?  Yes...  I miss those days.

On the other hand, today I kind of enjoy discovering brighter lights than I knew existed before (if they existed before).

I've disliked CFLs ever since they made their appearance, and LEDs have had to evolve to something usable in regular light fixtures and lamps, but now that they have, I'm kind of in love with them.  Not their price tag, but the bulbs for sure.

The older I get I'm finding I like my lights bright.  I prefer a cool white to soft white for reading and doing handwork, so my lamps are slowly starting to get brighter (as a bulb burns out, I often replace it with an LED daylight bulb).  It's not always the perfect choice, but I'm so glad to have a choice!  

Daylight bulbs don't create the ambiance that a soft white bulb does, and figuring out the balance and placement of soft white and daylight bulbs in a room is still a process for me, but overall...  I like my lights brighter than softer and yellower. And the great benefit of LED bulbs is I can put brighter bulbs in lower wattage sockets - and that makes my aging eyes very happy.

Adding a note for anyone who hasn't been initiated into the LED converted crowd...  When buying them, note how large the bulb is.  Many LEDs have bulb ends that are too large for  the harp on some lamps, and the enclosure of  ceiling light fixtures.    

It took a little trial and error on my part, so I thought this might be worth mentioning.  Do research, read the reviews, and be sure of the bulb size (and lumens - you want to learn a bit about lumens) before ordering.  Also, some are not dimmable, so if this is important, look for that on the packaging -- though, buying name-brand LED bulbs, I have yet to have a problem with putting them in dimmable light fixtures.  Light fixtures and your experience could vary.

11 comments:

  1. I'm with you in liking bright light - I don't often go for anything less than 100w and will be slowly changing over to LED's as ours burn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that the most recent 100 watt incandescents we've bought haven't been as bright as the old 100 watt bulbs. I thought we were just finding cheaply made bulbs, but now I'm wondering if maybe the energy requirements for making them have meant that the brightness suffers a bit. I don't really know. I just know that having discovered LED, and finally bit the bullet and bought some that fit my lamps and light fixtures, I've not looked back. lol

      Delete
  2. I have an LED daylight bulb on my adjustable lamp for knitting etc but we have energy saving ones everywhere else with my felted lampshades which give warmth. I like the cosy looking effect on that puff stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My understanding is that LEDs are energy efficient, and they don't heat up nearly as much as other types of light bulbs. I didn't mention that they come is warm and cool light. I just prefer the brightness of the cool daylight bulbs. They are ridiculously expensive, but if they really do last for years, and they save money in the process, they may just be worth it. Time will tell for us...

      Delete
  3. Good for you to keep up with the decluttering. I remember when I finally declutter my bathroom - soooooo many hair products that I never used anymore or my children had left when they left home - ten years earlier. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now I feel better that I waited a year to clean out the drawers of my sons' birthday - a year after the youngest moved out. There were definitely some decade-old items in there, though - things that were used by my oldest who is now 30!

      Delete
  4. I love the scarf pattern and have written down the website. Now, on the light bulb thesis....whoa Nellie! that was more than I ever knew or wanted to know about light bulbs! LOL! Just kidding...but I am still having my coffee this morning and was blown away by your smarts when it comes to light bulbs! I just buy a bunch of different ones and put the bright ones where I sit and read or do handwork but I do agree....at my age brighter is better. With my eye history I do not want to strain these babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I do tend to go on, don't I? I really don't know that much, I've just learned some stuff from experience and wish I had done a bit more research before buying my first big ol' LED light bulbs. I thought of my comments as more of a disclaimer that I'm no expert on this, so do your research! :)

      Delete
  5. We don't have too much choice here. We go for the energy saving bulbs and I quite like them, I don't like bright light!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LEDs are in all our fixtures. I too, love the daylight bulbs. Once a shade goes over the lamp it slightly dulls it so the brighter the better.

    ReplyDelete