Saturday, November 16, 2019

Less is more - day 16

Cleaning out my candles and candle holders, I found at least 16 candles that are in some way ugly, pretty much used up, or just not wanted anymore.  Don't worry, I still have plenty to burn, but now have twice as much space on the shelf where they're stored.  Ultimately, I'd like to stop storing candles as I really don't burn them often.  Baby steps... 


Believe me when I tell you these candles look better in the picture than they do in person.  The ways candles can turn unattractive are many, I've learned.  πŸ˜•


And now for your listening pleasure (and because I couldn't resist😊):

From the year I was born, here are The Crests singing "Sixteen Candles"

~~~~~



10 comments:

  1. Hi Becki :) I LOVE candles and I probably have a big old ugly collection of them myself. But I'm too paranoid of power outages to get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think loving candles is key to keeping them. I have saved some in the past in the event of power outages. We are in a house now that has electrical lines above ground (strung from pole to pole to house), so it does happen often enough. But only twice in all my 60 years (39 years married) do I recall actually lighting candles in a power outage. And then, it was only for the fun of it. It's possible I did before we had children, but I don't specifically recall but two times I thought to. We try to keep flashlights in strategic places and always find ourselves using those when the power goes out after dark. I'm not quite the gentle romantic that you are (and I mean that as a compliment). It rarely occurs to me to light candles on purpose, let alone when I'm annoyed at a power outage. ;^)

      Delete
    2. I do take that as a compliment, thank you! Actually I have candles lit right now...strawberry scented, they smell so good! :)

      Delete
  2. I don't dare burn real candles because I have an awful habit of walking out the door and forgetting about them - and DH is allergic to most scents so just not worth having them. I do have one lonely battery-operated version and it only gets used when the power goes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fear of mine, too (I have lived through a house fire as a child and while I don't feel traumatized by it, I possibly have a heightened sense of how quickly and unnoticeably a fire can start). I was a little afraid to walk away from my burning mass of candles in the pictures to see if the pictures I took of them turned out. I didn't want to have to relight them all, so I had DH mind them for the few minutes I was away from them.

      Delete
  3. Like Rain, I tend to keep the ugly candles in case of a power outage. But I'm pretty sure I could find some to get rid of if I put my mind to it. Great job decluttering! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mrs.T. This reminds me... I had recently found a candle stuck in a mason jar up in the boys' bathroom recently. That probably wasn't the smartest place to keep one now that I think about it. That one needs to go, too.

      Delete
  4. I love candles but I only buy the ones in glass containers. I keep mine in the linen closet too but I go through them so there are none to throw out. I remember the pillar candles and they always got ugly and I didn't think they were too safe. I also have several battery operated candles on timers. Grouped together yours look very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept some yet unburned candles, and several that I have in glass containers (that I liked the scent of). That's something I'm noticing, too, as I grow older... My sinuses are bothered more and more by strong scents and maybe the content of candles - that last thing I'm not sure of, but I wonder... Sometimes I have an instant negative reaction to a burning candle and sometimes I hardly notice them. Other that strong scents, I'm not sure what all might be contributing to that.

      Delete
  5. I know many are into candles but I'm not anymore. I only have one of the big Yankee ones to light if it stinks in the kitchen from making fish or something.

    ReplyDelete