Monday, November 18, 2019

Less is more - day 18

I'm venturing back into my closet.  It's fairly organized, if crowded in there, but recently (when moving things around for painting) I stuck some items in there that don't really belong.  Good.  If they don't belong there, maybe they don't belong anywhere here.  

An advantage to moving things out of the space they've been residing is that it gives a bit of a fresh perspective on them. Looking at these today, I'm not even sure why these books were being saved in the first place, let alone deemed worthy to carry into my closet when my "yarn room" was being emptied to paint:




Actually, the Nat'l Gallery of Art book is one I've been hanging on to for years.  I have lots of art books.  They are probably the hardest for me to let go of.  Today I watched a short Minimalist video where The Minimalists, Joshua and Ryan talk about working the "muscles" of minimizing by letting go of some hard things.  Not necessarily precious things, but things that are perceived to be hard to let go of for whatever reason.  So...

One big fat art book and 17 other miscellaneous books -  
for a total of 18 more books going to find new homes!






9 comments:

  1. Oh my this is my weakness! I do love books:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH and I have a serious weakness when it comes to books. Our book collecting was enabled by years of being Friends of the Library book sale helpers. I haven't done that for a year or so due to it not being worth what it does to my back, and I try to refrain from even going to the sales anymore. But they have been a goldmine of wonderful books over the years. And now I find myself getting rid of the same books. Some get donated right back to the FOL sales. Our libraries also have free bookshelves at their entryways so some of the books go there. And then some go to a local thrift store, or possibly young homeschooling families. I'm thinking the above are so dated, though, even my frugal homeschooling friends wouldn't be interested...

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo! I'm SO proud of you. Getting rid of precious books has to be the hardest thing, at least for me. I have 'done the hard thing' and winnowed my craft books down to the most special ones and now I know it would be like pulling teeth to make me part with any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, one of the reasons I still hang onto art books is that I have the idea that I might use them someday with grandchildren. But grandchildren are nowhere on the horizon, so I've begun trying to be more practical about this sort of thing. While we shouldn't live in the past, it seems to me that we shouldn't live in the future, either. Instead of pouring over art books with a grandchild, maybe I'll go to the actual art gallery with them. lol Gee... now there's an idea!

      Delete
  3. Your art books and my math and computer books! LOL! I think part of it is realizing that maybe that part of your life is over? I know in my case that's true and it's hard to admit that there are quite a few things that are "over" for me! LOL! I'm so glad I have new things though....handwork and sewing and using that side of my brain for a change. Although, if I get rid of the 'old' stuff it seems I am now replacing it with 'new' stuff! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting go of art books and books about creative pursuits (and the tools for those pursuits) feels to me like giving up on something I want to pursue. Or may want to pursue in the future. Like I'm not going to have access to these things if my life truly opens up (or back up) to these interests? It's a scarcity way of thinking. I suspect, though, that the truth is that letting go of these things actually brings clarity and freedom about what I truly want to be about in this stage of life.

      Delete
  4. Books are hard for my DH to let go of. I have no problem leaving my finished book wherever I am when I finish it. Case in point, I left a book in my hotel room this past week when I was done with it. Maybe one of the housekeeping staff will enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy... don't get me started on leaving books places. It's a main reason I'd never take a library book away from my home to read it. I've been searching for the current book I'm reading (of the series of 14 in Day 14's post) for days now. I'm never going to get that series finished at this rate! Oh man.. I said don't get me started and there I went! ;^)

      Delete