Saturday, November 9, 2019

Less is more - day 9

It's a beautiful fall day here in central Indiana.  Up early, DH and I were going to go to some shops here in our quiet little town looking for a small table we have need of.  But first we headed to the 2nd Saturday Antique & Vintage Market (at the county fairgrounds).  We wondered what might be up when we drove through our downtown and saw more people than normal walking the sidewalks.  There were no signs and we hadn't heard anything, so we just figured people must have wanted to get out on a beautiful day.

After the Antique Market we drove through the downtown area again and there were more people!  We noticed balloons outside some shops, so we figured there must be something going on.  We were going to stop at a salvage store on our way back home, but there was no place to park!  Well, forget that.  

Then, rather than go home, we decided to leave town and go to an antique mall about 15 minutes south.  Now, this place is huge and doing  a fairly quick walk through  (and a couple of short sit-down breaks) I think we saw every single booth in about 2 hours. But still no table called to us.

Exhausted, and with several miles on our pedometers, we headed back home and thought we'd try the salvage store again.  We skipped the parking lot across the street (where people were now parking on the grass), found a spot in the back and walked around the building to the front.  When I opened the front door one young lady spilled out like she was dazed.  Once she moved by me, I stepped inside the door.   People lined every pathway that I could see.  We looked at each other and said, "Uh no.  Let's not do this." We turned around and sort of spilled out on the people behind us, deciding to stop back in some weekday when our little town will be its quiet, quaint self again.  As we passed a group of people on the sidewalk we asked what was going on today.  We were told it was the Holiday Open House!  Leave it to two retired locals to not have a clue.

Back home where it's quiet and dull, I decided for today's haul I'd pick through our video shelves.  I know most people aren't still hanging on to VHS tapes, but we have a couple of VHS players, so it's sometimes hard to part with these old relics. Their days are numbered, though, so we cull through them every once in a while. 



I think DH is going to pull some together for another upcoming haul.  Today  I came up with 9 VHS or DVDs that I can live without.








4 comments:

  1. What a shock for you to find out your little town was having a festival. I chuckled at the culling of VHS. We sis that a year ago when we realized we hadn't owned a VHS player for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And why, I wonder, were you not informed about the holiday open house? Goodness! (and yes, I'm kidding!). We still have one VHS tape that has footage of our kids when they were little. Keep meaning to have it converted but it's one of those things that never seems to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a bunch of audio tapes and VHS tapes that I got for the grands but they are way beyond that technology! LOL! I keep thinking since they always say they have no money that they were serious. When the parental generation say they have no money that just means they've spent it all on high tech gadgets! LOL! They have phones and tablets and pc's and so much more! LOL! But they can't aaford organic food...too expensive! So, now I can get rid of all those VHS tapes I bought at garage sales for the grands. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad has a VHS player; he plays old, home movies when we're there.

    ReplyDelete