Sunday, November 10, 2019

Less is more - day 10

Since today's post is serving two purposes:  1) my 30-Day Minimalism Game, and 2) my Year of Projects update, I decided to go through some books that are artsy craftsy in nature.  I find these among the hardest books to get rid of for some reason.  Maybe it's because they're filled with all sorts of possibility of fun projects, or learning experiences. 

That said, I found ten that I'm not going to cry too hard over getting rid of:

I'm sure I'll return to culling out books again over the course of this decluttering challenge.  Even though we've gotten rid of lots of books in recent years, I feel burdened by the number we still have.  Over the course of the month I think we can surely continue to make a dent in our book collection. 




~~~~~

On the crafting front, the most notable thing I've accomplished is getting my "yarn room" painted and set back up - so much better than it was before.  The closets don't look much different than when I last showed my organization of them, but the rest of the room is now put back together, and is in working condition.

I don't have before-painting pictures, but here's the transformation from freshly painted walls to today:


I love my table with wheels (it used to be the desk part of a computer table).  I need to store those long bags of yarn somewhere; and the wheels on the table allow me to store the bags under the table and just wheel the table out a bit when I want to sit there to work on something. Love!


~~~




One of these days I'll get a valance (or curtains) made for the windows, and some things on the walls, but for now I'm just enjoying my private little sanctuary.

Thank you for stopping by!  To see what other YOPpers are up to, visit their blogs over in my sidebar.  👉







17 comments:

  1. Oh I love your cozy yarn room. The chair in the corner with the end table and lamp made me sigh. It looks so peaceful and cozy. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying that little sitting spot. It took me a while to decide where exactly to put it. In the end, I decided I can easily change my mind and move a few items around. Did I already mention I love my table on wheels? :)

      Delete
  2. Your room looks cozy and tidy and just lovely. I laughed when I saw your towel origami book. When we were on a cruise (our only one) and at a all-inclusive (also only one) I loved seeing what the maids would turn our towels into every day. The monkey hanging from the shower door was my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tidy! Before this makeover, I just couldn't seem to keep things tidy - even though I worked at it often enough. I was pretty picky about what I allowed back in the room, so hopefully I'll be able to keep this room nice and neat now!

      Delete
  3. Your room is fabulous!
    I had to smile at some of those books ... but what if you suddenly need a king size towel sculpture or balloon hat? That is the sort of thing I pick up ... I really must have a clear out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know I'm not the only one who's attracted to slightly odd books. I was involved in a clown ministry for a while about 12-13 years ago. I enjoyed face painting among other things. I accumulated some interesting books and stuff during that phase.

      Delete
  4. I love your little room. I can just imagine all the knitting and stitching going on in there when a free moment calls or just going in there to rest:)
    I am a book lover and if we have to move from this house I am in trouble. I have treasured books in almost every room. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my motivations for getting rid of some books is the hope that we'll move in the near future. The only thing worse than owning more books than one could possibly read is to pay to have those books moved from one house to another. We, too, have books in nearly every room. Spread out like that, visitors here can't really tell how bad it is. And to think it used to be so much worse...

      Delete
  5. I remember that bargello book - it was one I had for awhile and I expect I re-homed it years ago after I got over the bargello craze. One year I made bargello cushions for every un-deserving soul on my Christmas list. Your room looks wonderful, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuckling over the "every un-deserving soul on your Christmas list". I think I must have bought that book at a Friends of the Library book sale. It looked fascinating. But then it started to look really tedious. Once I decided to part with the book, I actually felt relieved - I think because I could quit thinking about making something out of it, and feeling guilt that I probably never wood.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, there's been a few of those 'undeserving soul' gifts over the years....like the time I made my poor long-suffering uncles crocheted vests that they very dutifully put on for a photo op on Christmas day and I never saw them again (deservedly so, I might add!!)

      Delete
  6. Love your cozy room! Good job on the book culling, you're right -- less is more but it's so hard to get to less sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting to less - I like that. I doubt I could ever achieve minimalist status. But everyone can "get to less"!

      Delete
  7. Oh what a lovely, cozy nook for you! I can only hope mine will look that good some day! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your whole house looks like a cozy nook to me, Sam! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm so envious how you have your very own craft room! Hopefully in two more years when the teen goes off to college, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took our boys completely moving out for us to graduate to having our own rooms. :) And even then, we were slow to do the work to make them over to suit us.

      Delete