Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Less is more - day 5

Today hubs gathered a hodgepodge of items from the garage.

Here we have an unneeded file cabinet, an empty paint can, a fish grill thingie, a grabber, and a very cool tiger kite from when our boys were little.  It's still in near perfect condition except for some dirt - that might wash off.  Also - not all are visible, but there are three spools of kite thread (the one you see is tied to the kite).  So does that technically make 7 or 8 items?  


Normally, I don't include items in this challenge that I'm throwing away as a matter of course (as in the packaging for a product I've used up), but in this case the empty paint can qualifies because it represents a gallon of paint that was purchased two years ago and it didn't work for its intended purpose.  In going through all our stored paints I decided to use this on the walls of my "yarn room".  While the paint is technically still in the house  (i.e. it's on the walls), it takes up no space.  One can of paint - gone!





12 comments:

  1. Nice that your DH is on board with the downsizing - a lot of men steadfastly resist getting rid of their 'stuff' (although they're quite happy to see OUR stuff gone...lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, he does seem to have more opinions on what I should get rid of. lol OTOH, I think my DH could complete his own 30-day minimalism challenge just in the garage, but I'm guessing least half of the things I'd have an opinion about. I'm not as ready to get rid of "playthings" from the past, but since he's been wanting to dejunk that kind of thing for years now, I think we're going to be letting some more go over the next few weeks.

      Delete
  2. Good job today. I so wish my DH would got thru his 5 bookcases and weed out a few lol. But then he probably wishes I would go thru my yarn stash lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, books! We've culled out so many books in recent years we have a mere fraction of what we once had. Still, there are too many here. I plan to get rid of some more in this challenge.

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying following along with this. One day I need to do this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just threw out an empty paint can too! I had to let the remains dry out before they will take it but it's a goner! You guys are really doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting rid of paint and other chemicals can be a real pain if it doesn't get all used up.

      Delete
  5. I'm thinking of making a designated space (or large container)in the garage or basement for those "hazardous waste" items. That way, in the spring when our town has their collection day for such items, we will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea! I know DH is always scrambling to gather together what of these kinds of things we should get rid of when these days come around.

      Delete
  6. I like throwing stuff away; it feels so good to clean out things. I've done this especially since our house is small and we have little storage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to donate what is in good condition, but some stuff has gone into the trash. Which really makes me wonder what I was saving it for. We're contemplating downsizing so this little exercise is to get me ready for that big job.

      Delete