Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Less is more - day 13

I opened a dresser drawer today just to see what was inside and I was surprised to find more than a dozen new/nearly new socks.  Then I remembered...  I bought them I bought them for my guys because I thought they liked these ankle-length kind, only to find out they like low-rise or no-show socks - and actually, now that I think about it more... they wear black or gray far more than white ones.  I also remember that at the time I thought I'd wear them so I put them in a dresser drawer for my future use.  But I'm pretty sure I've had these for at least a year (if not two) and I haven't worn them - because you know what...   I don't really care for the length either.   



I ended up sorting through all my white socks (even the ones I wear - which would really only be as bed socks when it's bitter cold).  Some of the socks got tossed and more than a dozen pairs got culled and set aside for...  what?  

Are opened, even slightly used (or just washed) socks good to donate?  One way or another these are out of here.  But I welcome hearing suggestions - even if it's "throw them away"!








12 comments:

  1. I washed lots of Jim's socks and some I can use but they are the short ones just like yours and he had the longer ones like those in your picture too and I don't care for that length either. I wear my hand knit wool socks in the winter....which is now evidently since my feet are cold! LOL! Anyway, I planned on giving them to Salvation Army as long as they are clean and no holes. Hey, if they're good enough for me they're good enough for others! I have big feet so they fit me...in fact the largest size of women's socks cramp my style. Good for you clearing out so much! I have a feeling your house is immaculate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, No, Sam. My home is not even close to being immaculate. I can make the public areas look fairly decent if I have a few minutes, but if you drop in on me I'm likely to have things I've just put down here and there, and stuff on my tables that belong somewhere else. The only thing I've got going that works for me is that I'm not a knick knack person, but I'm also not a duster-oftener. Probably not having a lot of knick knacks makes swooping through the public places fairly easy if I get word that someone is coming over. And of course, I'll clean up nice if I invite someone(s) over. But I don't have a cleaning schedule, or much discipline for how to keep this place respectable. Decluttering, as I'm doing now, is my only hope to keep from going under someday.

      Delete
  2. I definitely donate socks, provided they're not stained or 'holed'. I just make sure I put them together in pairs so they don't have to spend time doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is good to know. As I've been showing this stuff here publicly, I'm realizing I don't know what some people might think is gross. I don't want to see things like other's messes, and definitely no bodily injuries or surgery sites. But I'm pretty sturdy when it comes to the idea of wearing used clothing.

      Delete
    2. I buy thrifted clothes all the time - a great cheap way to get a new wardrobe and I don't feel too badly donating it back when I get tired of it. I do draw the line though at buying secondhand underwear and shoes.

      Delete
  3. Donate them. Homeless shelters would be thrilled to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Around here the homeless shelters ask us for donations like these all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becki :) Socks are very good to donate. I personally don't buy second hand socks, but I know that people in need will appreciate them! Funny, Alex likes those low rise socks too, wonder if it's a guy thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you can donate socks, yeah? I've hardly worn my calf length socks but now I'm finding a need to wear them b/c it's cold in the house and wearing no-shows leaves a gap of exposed skin, LOL.

    ReplyDelete