Friday, November 1, 2019

Less is more - day 1

Today is the first day of my 30-Day Minimalism Challenge (which is serving as the theme of my NaBloPoMo 2019 challenge).    My first choice for what leaves my house may seem like an odd one - not because of what it is, but because of how I've quantified it.  My first object is one bag of around 30 t-shirts. 



Why would I be getting rid of 30 items on the first day?  Why wouldn't I save this for later in the month when I might find myself struggling to find 20+ things a day to get rid of?

Believe me, I mulled over those questions.   And I wrestled down the fear that if I started out this bold, I might regret it later in the month.  

In the end, though, I realized this was a perfect first post.  You see, today's choice is a sort of metaphor for this month-long experiment.

This first post is (probably) going to be the longest post of this challenge, so bear with me.  With this post, and with today's choice, it seems appropriate to explain that this challenge isn't just about getting rid of stuff - or even minimizing, per se.    It's about making decisions.  It will be a month full of making decisions about things I'm going to let go of, things I'm going to keep.  Hopefully, it will result in some clarity about how what I own should reflect my life - what I want out of  life, and what I want life to be about in this stage.  

In pulling items out of my "yarn room" for painting this week, I came across a bag of t-shirts that I've been storing for making t-shirt yarn.  At one point I had collected a LOT of t-shirts that were perfect candidates for this.  No seams, little amounts of print, not stained, minimal holes...   This was a curated collection.  😏  Which was why it has been hard to get rid of it all after collecting for a few years.  

The thing is, I tried my hand at making t-shirt yarn and I have to say it isn't the most pleasant thing to make (for me, anyway).  It was kind of laborious and messy to cut the fabric just right to make one long strip, and then pull that long strip taut in order to curl the material up into something that resembled yarn.   I think whoever figured out how to do this with an actual t-shirt is something of a genius, but this is the result of one (probably large t-shirt) yarn-making exercise:



It's not very impressive, is it?  I had no idea how long it would take, and how many t-shirts it would take to actually make enough "yarn" to make something with.  And other than maybe a bath mat, what truly did I think I'd want to have that is made with t-shirt yarn?!?

But I'd collected all those t-shirts.  So I hung onto them. 

Today, I'm setting myself free from the t-shirts.  I probably turned 10 t-shirts into nice rags - so I originally had more than what's in the bag above.  

But what is left are all nice enough that someone else may want to wear them.  Today I send them out into the world to cover others' backs.  Some have clever prints and may make their new owners smile.  Or maybe someone with more energy and time left in their life will snap them up at the thrift store -recognizing that they'd make great t-shirt yarn.  

They have my heartfelt blessings.   😊





8 comments:

  1. I'm with you,I would forego the t-shirt yarn, sounds like a lot of work for a little bundle,though it's a nice looking yarn. 😉
    All the best to you these next 30 days.

    Happy day to you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....you have hit a sensitive area...I have t-shirts I have saved to make t-shirt yarn to make cat beds....I think I need a therapist! Why do I have such a hard time parting with things that I think I might use? I require a professional don't I? You are so good and so decisive and at least you tried making the yarn and did make some. I have yet to try and I looked at t-shirt yarn to buy but it was pricey so I will hang on to my t-shirts for now. I am so ashamed...I think I need a help group or a psychotherapist! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol You are so funny, Sam. I'm really not good about making these decisions when left to my own devices. I think that's the genius of this Minimalism Game - turning it into a game or a challenge somehow makes me bolder about deciding to get rid of some things. Like, I don't want to let myself down, or something... ???

      Delete
  3. I was thinking you were going to go backwards on the minimalist idea and start at 30. Now that you mention it, I have some t-shirts from when my grand daughter was very young. I was gonna make a quilt out of them. I will send them to her other grandma as she will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. T-shirt yarn has confounded me for awhile. I can't imagine going to all that effort to create something that comes already in a perfectly good ball. Having said that, I'm collecting t-shirts to make another action hero quilt for #2 grandson....will probably take me a couple of years to get enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do we do anything that we can just go and buy? Originally, I thought it would be neat to make a rug or bathmat, but I don't anymore. And finding enough of the right kind of t-shirts in the right colors would be a huge challenge. I'm really glad I set the t-shirts free. :)

      Delete